- What is Attribution in Marketing?Posted 3 years ago
- Best Global Brands of 2013Posted 3 years ago
- iOS 7 and the Apple GeekPosted 4 years ago
- Top 3 Reasons to Implement a Distributed Marketing Management PlatformPosted 4 years ago
- Public Relations Dictates Your Reputation In The Online WorldPosted 4 years ago
What is Bait and Switch?
Bait and switch is a customer deception tactic, in which the marketer advertises for a product at a very attractive price. This is done to lure the customers (the “bait”). Once the customer comes to the store/office, the marketer tries to persuade the customer into buying a higher priced product (the “switch”).
This is looked upon as an unethical marketing practice. Generally the marketer would tell the customer that the product advertised for is out of stock (even if it is available), and then suggest the costlier product.Bait and switch is widely found in retail sales, but it can happen in other forms of selling as well.